From 10 to 12 March 2013, the Deputy Permanent Secretary of Education Mr. Sombat Suwanpitak and representatives of the Thai Ministry of Education paid an official visit to Myanmar to strengthen relations between the two countries and to discuss bilateral cooperation in education. During the visit, they met the Deputy Minister of Education of Myanmar, H.E. Dr. Myo Myint, visited schools in Rangoon and discussed educational cooperation with UNESCO in Myanmar. The major issues under discussion were as follows:
1. The Office of the Higher Education Commission (OHEC), on behalf of the Ministry of Education, will organize an academic seminar to promote cooperation between Thai and Myanmar universities in the middle of June, 2013. Myanmar will be pleased to support the event.
2. The Education Ministry of Myanmar asked the Thai Ministry to send Thai teachers to teach in Myanmar to promote Thai language and culture. Thailand is pleased to do so.
3. The Ministry of Education of Thailand will invite high school students from Myanmar to participate in the ASEAN +3 Youth Camp hosted by Thailand in June, 2013. Myanmar is pleased to send teachers and students to this activity.
4. The Ministry of Education of Thailand proposed to send Thai teachers to monitor English teaching in Myanmar while Myanmar is interested in sending teachers to monitor professional teaching in Thailand as well as looking at education quality assurance and qualification certification. Both parties will start the work between July and August, 2013.
5. The Ministry of Education of Thailand proposed to improve Community Learning Centers in Myanmar by giving training to staff from Myanmar, Thailand and other neighboring countries.
6. The Ministry of Education of Thailand would like to send staff from the Center of Educational Technology to tape educational management programs in Myanmar and broadcast them via ETV. Myanmar is pleased to help and asks the Ministry of Education of Thailand to make contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
7. The Ministry of Education of Myanmar informed the Education Ministry of Thailand that it had already received a drafted Memorandum of Understanding